Tuesday, November 1, 2011

How much does people have to be ethical?


     Is the ethics important? It is definitely true that ethical thought and behaviors are essential in our society. In the perspective as a researcher, I think that more meaningful and practical questions should be "How much does people have to be ethical?". The reason is because the performance of perfect ethics in human behavior is almost impossible. Then, the understandable answer may be "There is an appropriate standard". Although the explanation and grounds for the answer become more complex, I would like to think about problems and solutions related to the question about the ethics.

     I am going to assume that we always have both a core and a tool in human's behavior. A tool is used for fulfilling the core value. For example, the Internet and computers are good tool for our convenience or efficiency of working. It is clear that good things are better, but it is sometimes not real. In this case, I believe that I must importantly consider the ethics or justice of the ultimate core rater than the tools. Before the conclusion, I should think about the side effect or abuse which my explain has. For instance, I never have to steal the secret information of my company for my financial benefit. It cannot be allowed that I harm other's body or emotion for my pleasure. Nevertheless, if I face with a tremendous or urgent problem I should make a hard decision about whether I should choose the bad tool for the good result or not. Thus, I would like to add some premises. People should think carefully their behavior, its impacts, and the result confronting ethical dilemma. Plus, they have to agree with the responsibility by themselves. With the strong belief, my choice of the bad tool, not the core, could be justified.

     Second, the ethics consists of an absolute truth and a subjective one. An absolute truth is that the life is the inviolable object. On the other hand, there are many subjective ethics like the regulation of a company, a current general ideas, and an agreed process of work. When it comes to ethical dilemma, the arbitrary tools or methods can be more understandable only for the absolute truth. However, the bad selection in process for subjective ethics could not be allowed. Also, the quality of the sin in the latter case would be bigger.

     It is sorry that I could not explain the detail and exceptional situation. It is very hard question about whether the ethics is absolute or not. However, we should seriously think about this dilemma, because there are so many times of hard choices around us. Maybe, the best answer of the our question might still depend on the person's belief and a sense of responsibility.

1 comment:

  1. Park - you are right that it is difficult sometimes to make the right choice. It does depend on the company, the culture and the situation.

    ReplyDelete