Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Team Culture and Drinking in Korea


When I was a freshman in the University in Seoul, I applied for the engineer team of the university broadcasting station. I almost failed the written test because questions were related to the subject of engineer study. After the test, I should take the interview with some applicants for 30 minutes. Some interviewer ask so individual questions like "How much can you drink?", "Can you work during several nights at the station?", "Sing a song". Many applicant and I were perplexed with new culture shock. However I also asked same questions to new applicants 1 year later when I was a director in the broadcasting station.

In my country, some individually sensitive factors are considered to be a member of a team although the strictness has been weaker now. Thus, events in a company are treated importantly than ones at home in many places. Sometimes, the behaviors (like drinking together) in an association after businees hour is very crucial. Interestingly, that the other should drink equally if one drink one shot shows the characteristic of the team culture in Korea.

I think that this phenomenon has both advantage and disadvantage. Advantage is that we can be gathered faster and easier with the events and drinking at night. Thus, one help co-workers heartly after the business hour. Also, it is easy not only to get an agreement, but also to make a consensus in a short time. On the other side, the strongly gathered team culture may make unreasonable decision makings. Plus, the emotions of each individuals can intervene on the business and it occurs absurdities and corruptions.

It seems that diversity exists diversely.

No comments:

Post a Comment